Lowther College at Bodelwyddan 1920 - 1982Bodelwyddan Castle was the home of Lowther College, a leading public school for girls, for over sixty years, from 1920-1982. Formed by Mrs Florence Lindley, Lowther College transferred to the Castle, initially as a tenant of Sir William Williams. After several building episodes, Sir William agreed to sell the property to the College and thus began an association that was to end with the demise of the College due to financial difficulties. To the many pupils over the years, Lowther College was a special place. It was one of the first private girls schools to have its own swimming pool and for many years the girls were able to enjoy the use of their own golf course in the grounds. The school was a community in its own right but it never forgot its association with the local town and countryside. Christmas concerts were arranged to which local schools and visitors from further a field would attend. The Lowther College Tableaux were well known for their musical excellence.
An exhibition on life at Lowther College is now on show at the Castle. Displays include a model of one of the Christmas Tableaux scenes, recordings of Lowther memories, displays of uniform and much more.
THE LOWTHER ASSOCIATIONThe Lowther Association for former pupils of Lowther College has remained alive since 1982 when the school, which had been housed in Bodelwyddan Castle since 1920, closed. In 2007 the Association celebrated its 25th Anniversary and it was decided by a ballot of the members, that with reluctance, that the Association should be wound up in 2008. Membership numbers, and those able to travel to the Annual Re-unions, were inevitably falling. A Final Farewell Re-Union was held at Bodelywddan in May 2008 and over 300 former pupils attended. The Association has succeeded, with a generous grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, in its long held objective to establish the LOWTHER ROOM, a commemorative exhibition room at Bodelwyddan celebrating in words and pictures the years when Lowther was the School in the Castle, (1920-82) and this remains at Bodelwyddan to be viewed in perpetuity, open to the public and with a warm welcome to Lowther Girls. Four members of the former Committee of the Lowther Association are Trustees of the Lowther College Trust which has been founded to ensure the preservation and maintain innovation of the permanent exhibition and to keep alive the Lowther name.
All archives from Lowther College are held at Bodelwyddan and if any former pupils have any memorabilia they would like to donate (or make a financial contribution to the L.C. Trust ) they should send it with details of the donor, her maiden name and the year she left the school to:- The Director Bodelwyddan Castle Trust Bodelwyddan Castle Denbighshire LL18 5YA